"Islam began as a stranger and will go back to being a stranger just as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers."

Monday, October 11, 2010

Remember Me?

Assalaamu 'Alaikum warahmat Ullahi wabarakaatuh,

I was looking through my older posts, and I saw that a lot of them were about me apologizing to you for delaying my publishing of new blog posts. Take my word for it, this post is no different.

My family and I recently got back from Egypt in mid-August. I feel awkward in this cold 91-degree weather. I long to hear the Athaan once again and to see the empty streets during Jumu'ah time. I dream to once again see the 'Abaayahs and Jilbabs and Hijabs in the streets, and feel that, "Yes, I'm finally home." Mind you, I'm a born and raised American. But I feel as close to Arabia as I am to my birthstate.

I'm still glad to be back in America though I was really crying when I left. I loved it there. With all its pollution, cigarettes, crowds, noise, and dirt, I love it. I love it with all its smiles, Qur'aan, Islam, and life. I love it with all its ma7shi, food, tea (shaay), and restaurants. I love its sporting clubs, its sights of interests, its wonders, its magnificence. I love its language and its people. I love its malls and stores and shoes and makeup and niqabs and Hijabs and 'Abaayahs. I love its City Stars and Sharm-El-sheikh, and its pyramids and its Heliopolis. I love its old mosques, and its new mosques. I love its shabab, the young youth who walk in the streets calling and laughing and joking. I love the night-time walks and drives I had with my family and my cousins. I loved it when I'd look around and hear a joke in my language. Arabic. And I'd laugh. Because it actually was funny. I love it, love it, love it.

I apologize for not having written while I was there. I was so lost in my new fairytale of where my real home is, that I forgot about that once-loved object called, "The Internet." In Egypt, I would refer to it as: El-nit. But now, el-nit is not as soothing as it was once before. Now, my time is dedicated to memorizing the Book of Allah subhaanahu wa ta'aala and trying to find ways to get into a program that would help me fly through High School. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that alhamduLillah I made it to yet another year. I am currently a 13-year-old by the will of the Almighty.

Ya Allah, I can't believe it's already been two years since I first made this blog. And yet, here I am, feeling like I've only had it for what? Two months?

Anyway, I'd love to tell you more about my summer. But for now, I have to go study and work on my science fair project. My mother is tapping impatiently..(that's a lie BTW).

Can't wait till I next go to Egypt (Misr), my home.

Love for the sake of Allah subhaanahu wa ta'aala,
Bint Khaled

PS. Check out MLIAR (mylifeisarabic.com). It's really cool..for you Arabs who've been out there waiting for one to be made. Well awesomely, it was recently made by some fabulous people! I was soo happy when I discovered it a few days ago.. May Allah ta'aala reward the admin. Ameen.

No comments: